Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Growing Up or Getting Over It?

Not too long ago, I was talking to my uncle. We were discussing maturing, and how it seems like some people never seem to stop doing the things they did in high school. The subject turned to going out. Now, my uncle is 30 years older than me, right? But he said that he had to stop going to the clubs because he was tired of seeing the same people there every night. He said they never seemed to want something different. It's a natural reaction of a young buck to protest "yeah, but things are different now!!!" But, before I could even get it out, my uncle pointed out that 30 years ago, the men were tryin' to get the drawers, and the women were wearing skirts that just barely covered their cheeks. (My words, but pretty darn close to his). That shut me up pretty quickly. Why? Because that's basically what's happening in the clubs today.

That conversation made me feel a little bit better. When I was in my late 20s and at the peak of awesomeness, I remember dreading the idea of turning 30, and becoming lame...saying things like "I'd rather stay in my house and drink" or "I don't want to go to a club to kick it with my friends" or "I don't like clubs, they're too loud. I'd rather hang out at a bar with my friends, where we can talk and kick it." These were all phrases that I associated with being old and lame. (Frankly, I still associate them with being old and lame). 2 things that are truly terrifying for me.

Then, shortly after turning 29, I moved to BFE...land of the hipster and stroller. There were families everywhere, and hipsters. The "scene" in my new 'hood was dive bars and coffee shops. All things that make me pull back in horror. And, I was far enough away from the real scene that I needed to drive or plan my night financially. I was sure to wither away and die in my pure lack of awesomeness.

Turns out, I was right about a couple things. First, there is nothing to do after 7pm in my new 'hood (except hit the gym). It's sort of like living in the suburbs, without the status or the space. I don't go to the clubs as much anymore (or at all, really). And I would rather go to a bar to hang out (sort of). But none of these things are because I'm old and can't handle the good nightlife anymore. I officially stand corrected!

The reasons going out to the club is less than appealing is because it's expensive! Dude, a cab roundtrip plus drinks plus cover (on the rare occasion that I'd pay it) is not something to be taken lightly. Alternatively, I can just have friends over and we can blow through a couple bottles of wine or liquor for a total of $10 a piece. AND, I don't have to concern myself with stumbling home. Now, let's not forget Sunday Fundays. When it go right, you get to go out (drive and park at the bar, if necessary!!), have a coupla cocktails, watch some football, yell at the TV, talk trash and then head home in time to sober up and not have a hangover. Finally, my uncle was right -- you really do see the same people over and over and over at the club. And really? How many times can you turn the same guy down? And the little soror-a-ho's that started working my nerves in law school are just as annoying now.

All that to say, it's nice to know that the reasons I started being lame are not necessarily related to being old. I kinda wish someone who'd already gotten there had explained this years ago...maybe I wouldn't have had such a phobia about turning 30.

So...who wants to come over to have a dance party?!!?

No comments: