Saturday, November 08, 2008

Head of State (HNIC)

So, it is my tradition to watch either The American President or Head of State or both prior to the election. This year I didn't, so I'm watching Head of State now. Quite honestly, it's still hilarious. But, it is stunning to me that this movie was supposed to take place in 2004, and Mays Gilliam (Chris Rock) won the election. At that time, it was a great satire on the state of America. I especially loved the absurdity of the movie's premise. Really?! A relatively unknown, black man as president, beating out a war hero? PAH!

And now I stand, four years later, in complete awe of Mr. Fantastic, aka Barack Obama. I echo a comment I heard from a professor on The Today Show. I underestimated white people in America. Despite the fact that I truly believed that the Democrats could've run a hamster and still should've won, I was not totally convinced that the yuppies of America would actually vote for a African American. I wasn't really concerned about the racist, KKK members of the country. Honestly? They weren't likely to vote for Democrats anyway. But, I was convinced that there were white people everywhere, who said they were Obama supporters, but only because it was what a good yuppie liberal should say. Then, I figured when they got into the booth, curtain around them, they would find themselves unable to actually pull the lever for a black man. Well white people, y'all proved me wrong. And might I say, good work.

No, I'm not convinced that race in America is officially a nonissue. But, I am in awe that it is less of an issue than I thought. I love it. I've found myself high on life since Monday. I think the euphoria may last forever. God bless America!

So, we've got our plane tickets for DC on January 19-23. Are you in to watch history continue?

No comments: