Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gentleman Friend

Question of the day. What makes a guy your boyfriend? At what point are you "official"? Is a "talk" or declaration required? Among my friends and the Mafia, we can't agree. For me, once I am exclusively dating someone, that person is automatically my boyfriend. For other friends of mine, exclusively dating is separate and distinct from boyfriend. In fact, only those worthy of "meeting the parents" are boyfriends. So when does it happen?

SiQ and some other friends have begun referring to the Titan as my boyfriend. Mostly they do it just to get under my skin. But, SiQ argued that he and I are all but dating exclusively (as far as we know), and have been doing so for quite some time. But I tell her and others that we have not had a discussion about exclusivity. Therefore, we are technically allowed to date other people. In fact, not that long ago, I considered going out with the Humping Penguin. HP was making a full court press for about a day -- make that a morning -- but he never followed through. Technically, I could've gone out with him.

Then, of course, there is the Engineer. My current date to the international madwoman's wedding. Right now, the Engineer isn't in the Titan's consciousness. The Titan has no right to know, since we aren't exclusive. All the exclusive talk will do is force me to mention the Engineer and the convoluted mess that spans across three time zones. How is that good for anybody?

So, my official stance on the boyfriend question is that a "talk" must be had. Until such time that we talk, I am a swingin' single baby!

No comments: