Monday, January 03, 2005

Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand is hot! Loving the 90 degree weather, which did not come with free bugs!

The airplane ride was loooooooooooong. Felt much longer than the last one. Probably because I boarded the plane after a harrowing day which included missing my bus to the airport. This particular bus was supposed to leave at 12:40. After a "series of unfortunate events" I arrived at the hotel at 12:43. April, her sisters and I attempted to see a shrine in Tokyo. (I generally referred to it as "The Red One"). Sadly, everyone else in Tokyo had the exact same idea. This caused a rather body-to-body crowd which had a tendency not to move quickly. Thus making it impossible for me to actually get close to the temple. After fighting the crowds, I was seen running through subway stations and the streets of Tokyo trying to catch the bus leaving for the airport from the New Sanno hotel. Too bad the bus left without me.

Fortunately, this bus was 5 hours before my flight was scheduled to leave. I am proud to say that I took a Tokyo city bus and the Narita Express train all by myself! I made it to the airport all in one piece. By the way, that airport is HUGE! It has its own mall and about a million restaurants. It definitely put O'Hare to shame, because it allowed nonpassengers to wander around with their loved ones until time to enter the gate. Stupid al Queda.

Anyway, after a long day, and an even longer flight, I was hardly in the mood for what happened next. Upon arrival into the airport, I waited, along with 2 other students in my class for hours. Allegedly, we were waiting for 3 other students to meet us before we could leave. Our guide was incorrect in believing the other students were coming, BECAUSE THEY'D ALREADY LEFT. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! To top it off, our guide didn't have a car for us, but was just there to hail a cab for us. (Something I feel we were perfectly competent to do on our own). Guess what, when we got back to the hotel (after the cabbie getting lost and charging us for his ineptitude), come to find out the other 3 students had a car. I swear, if someone had tried to attack me at that point (it being 3 am and all) I probably would be writing this from a Thai prison.

But alas, after a super high quality shopping trip, all is well. Stay tuned for other ridiculousness and pics.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a day what a day!! last day in Tokyo will be remember, but you made it. gb

Anonymous said...

what a day what a day!! last day in Tokyo will be remember, but you made it. gb

Anonymous said...

...You must have your sea legs.. as never heard anything about being sea sick??? ..anyhow I spent some time in the US Navy so I can relate to the close quarters!!!... I hope to see some of the photos of your trip and sure you will have memories that will will never fade away, and you can use when you write that BOOK........