Saturday, January 15, 2005

Something to read while the pics download

In the interest of giving you something to read while the pictures download, allow me to finish the tuk-tuk story. Now, after the day I missed the boat, I didn't think I'd take a tuk-tuk ever again. I was wrong.

The next day, Randy, Mandy and I were going to meet Thai students Champ and Toh at the school so they could take us to the Grand Palace. Randy and Mandy talked me into taking a tuk-tuk because Randy has a bad knee and we were running late. So we get in a tuk-tuk on Khoasarn Road. What's kind of funny about that the tuk-tuk started having mechanical difficulties about 1 block away. The driver asked one of his buddies to to take us. So we hop in the next tuk-tuk. This driver has no idea where Thammasat University is. (At least he admitted it). So he shows us a map, and asks us to point to where we're going. I say we're going to the Grand Palace and point to it (the University is about a block away from the Palace). So, the driver says "No, Grand Palace no good. Is closed today. I will take you to a temple." Would you believe he refused to take us to the Grand Palace which was NOT closed. So we ended up getting out and walking.

We also ended up being late, but so were the Thai students. We shoulda known, because nothing had been ontime since we'd gotten to Bangkok. The rest of the day was great. Definitely check out the pictures!

No comments: