Thursday, April 14, 2005

The LEO Banquet

The LEO (Legal Educational Opportunities) banquet was last week. LEO is the umbrella group for all of the minority groups on campus. This year, BLSA (Black Law Students Association) hosted. I was a part of the banquet committee. Naturally, I was in charge of the menu. We decided to have Jerk chicken, sweet potatos, Ethiopian greens, Dirty rice, and sweet tea (yucky to the sweet tea). The program itself was super-hot. We had Justice Butler (the first black Justice on the WI Supreme Court EVER) as our speaker. There was "interpretative dance" by a Praise Dance team; and a keyboard player during cocktail hour. Let's just say, BLSA knows how to throw a party.

Before the banquet, that morning in fact, I tried on the outfit I'd been planning to wear for weeks. As I looked in the mirror, my first thought was "I CANNOT be serious". There's no way in the world I could actually wear the ensemble in public. And so, I high-tailed it to Marshall Fields to find a dress. Have you ever attempted to find a dress for a function the same day as the function? For the record, I do NOT recommend it. But that day, the Goddess of Shopping smiled on me, and so I was not only able to find a lover-ly dress, but it was found in the depths of the Clearance Rack. YAY!!!!

Anyway, after the banquet, the after-party was held at the very small Cafe Montmatre. An attorney I met over the summer (who shall remain nameless) was there with his girlfriend. I was quite surprised to find out he had a girlfriend, as I'd been plotting ways to ask him out all summer. I'd promptly developed a crush on him after I met him. He was so cute!

Anyway, I was there with my own personal cutie; and that was fun. He was being highly uncooperative and refused photographs. Further pictures will have to wait until I come up with a plan that is sly like the jungle cat.

No comments: