Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Clocks, hormones and the Bible

So, the SiQ and I were talking the other day (shocking, I know). We were discussing why the somewhat sudden onslaught of hormones and boy-craziness. I found it strange that all I could concentrate on lately were boys, given my usual take 'em or leave 'em theory. With the exception of those times when I need a date for a particular event.

Given her scientific genius, she hypothesized that it was because the biological clock was ticking. I countered taht I wasn't particularly in the market for little kiddies. To which she responded that my personal preferences are not at all related to my biological inner workings. (I swear, she has an answer for everything). Which got me to thinking....

If we're pre-programmed to start husband hunting, and we have biological clocks that start ticking when it's time to start looking, and I am ill-equipped to fight that urgent need (unlike flowers, which procreate all on their own), then why is premarital sex a sin? And moreover, if it's a sin, why aren't men graced with that very same biological timer to start picking up wives? In the alternative, are they just better at ignoring said clock? Or is it that they're always thinking about sex, and therefore they don't realize that it's time for them to start cherry-picking wives? And why am I thinking about it anyway, since under no circumstances am I ready for children and marriage?

Clearly, I am overthinking this, but this is what we lawyer people do. Ok? So leave me alone. :).

No comments: