Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mo' Money

My co-worker (who doesn't have a handle yet) and I were fantasizing about getting a BigFirm job someday (hopefully soon) just so we could make more money. We were also speculating whether it would be worth it for the impossible number of hours we'd be required to work. Given that my company currently pays about half what BigFirm does, but also requires half as many hours, it really is a tough call. In the topsy-turvy world o' j.d.s, you have to make a choice. Quality of Life vs. Quality of Paycheck. Thus, this is a common debate among j.d.s everywhere. (To be honest, what probably sparked the whole debate is martamack's attempts to convince us both to come to his BigFirm).

Anyway, I could just imagine all the things I could do if I was making twice as much money. For starters, I wouldn't have to budget my money so tightly -- the past 8 years of being so frugal has given me a mind to be sensible...but extra money would sure go a long way on the weekends. For instance, I wouldn't have to choose between going out downtown on Friday or Saturday. I could go BOTH days!!! Imagine the possibilities...Not having to be worried that it costs $20 roundtrip in a cab to get downtown.

And of course, there are the shoes. *Sigh. I'd finally get the Christian Louboutins I've always wanted. And I could pay off my car. Boy oh boy. I could just imagine. On the other hand; would it be worth it to lose another 40 hours a week to the office?

6 comments:

Katherine. said...

I'd kill for a $20 roundtrip taxi ride -- if i miss the shuttle to work, it's $12 just to get to the office, one way that is. My shared ride van service is $25 to the airport, one way not including the tip....

$20 for a round trip in a taxi in b-town would be a miracle or a sign that the world is ending. :D

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's worth it for a little while. (It's only about 10-20 more hours a week and then all of the little firms fight over you after you leave (or at least that's the plan).)

MMM

Katherine. said...

pheebee w/o a social life? is that possible? or will you be able to juggle an 80-hr work week and a 20-hr weekend social schedule?

I guess maybe i should ask why i'm even asking though :P

pheebee said...

So many cooks stirring the pot over my potential paycheck. Well, I'll stick with my plan, for the next 6-10 months, I'm only leaving if I'm headhunted away. I won't be making a concerted effort to leave. So unless you've got a line on a job for pheebee, I'll be staying put.

kae.dea! The important question is, when are you gettin' back to the Midwest?

pheebee said...

MMM, It's so much more than 10-20 hours more per week and you know it!

(See this is what BigFirm people do, they pretend that they only work 50 hours, which is so very untrue). I guess that's how you trick yourself into thinking you're not a workaholic...

Katherine. said...

sounds like a very good and well-thought-out plan. i heartily approved (b/c i know you rely on my approval ;) )

returning to the midwest on 27th july to leave again on 29th july -- the annual grandparents'/family summer get-together

in other news, lots of friends are moving to chi-town, so imminent travel might b/c necessary or highly possible :)

and for you pheebee, the important question is: when are you visiting the cradle of the american revolution??