Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Year, New Companion?

So, about a week ago, I told my friend Kdub that I thought I was ready for a boyfriend. I specifically, categorically, absolutely was NOT ready for a boyfriend when I first got here. I mean, new city, new job, new apartment...oy! The last thing I needed on top of all that was a relationship. Especially since I didn't yet have a real circle of friends.

Well, now I have that new circle of friends. And the city, job, and apartment are really old hat at this point. (Although, with any luck -- and by luck I mean a little (tons) of help from the Man Upstairs-- I'll have a NEW job soon.) So, I think I'm finally ready to turn my full attention to a relationship. Which is what I told Kdub. Her answer, of course, was "whose the guy?" Well now, how should I know? I haven't found him yet.

I had high hopes for the boxer -- he was probably one of the most attractive guys I've ever dated. But he didn't turn out to be the one. He was too frickin' needy. And, I'm still not convinced that he was after any more than gettin' laid. And, of course, Snowflake was so, well, flaky. As a side note, the Ninja recently made an offer, and as nice as it was -- I'm not convinced it's the right choice to make. So, the moral of the story, no firm prospects at the moment.

In related news, around this time last year, I was obsessing over getting a pet bunny. (Awwwww). Of course, I essentially dropped the idea due to finances and the fact that bunnies, though cute, don't really trip my trigger as a pet. But I never really got over wanting a pet. For exactly 5 minutes, I considered getting a dog. Of course, we all know that I wasn't going to walk a dog and pick up its poo. Furthermore, I've always been a cat person. So, now I've decided to make an attempt at getting a cat. AND I'm even taking steps to make it happen. I've actually made an appointment with my doctor to have allergy testing. I know I'm allergic to cats, but the real questions are (a) how allergic, and (b) what exactly am I allergic to (hair/dander/Feld-1).

So, basically, I've decided it's time for a new companion. Either a boyfriend, or a cat, or both. I've always said if I wanted something around that I had to feed and pet all the time, I'd get a boyfriend rather than a dog. I guess we'll find out if that's true after all :).

No comments: