Friday, May 02, 2008

America's Pasttime

Is there a more loathsome mainstream professional sport on the planet than baseball? I defy you to find one. The sport has no redeeming quality at all. I've never liked baseball, but living in the Chi has turned my simple dislike into all out hate. I've spent the past 10 minutes watching the bottom of the 9th. For the past 10 minutes, the same dude has been at bat. He's hit at least 34 fouls, AND the count was full. In other words, I'm pretty sure the pitcher threw to this guy at least 90 times. That doesn't include the tosses to first base in attempt to keep the guy on first base from stealing second. That's 10 minutes of my life that I will never EVER get back.

And then, on top of all that, the players aren't even pretty to look at. For the most part, they are unattractive and overweight. Please give me one good reason to watch this sport. I beg of you. If I can't appreciate the "action" (and I use that term loosely); and I can't drool over the pretty boys, then why am I watching? This is the part where I remind myself that I have the power to change the channel. *Phew*.

No comments: