Saturday, February 21, 2009

Raise Your Right Hand

DeBeers had an ad campaign for a while that had a tag line that said "Ladies, raise your right hand." The gist of the ad was that you're saving your left ring finger for the rock that the love of your life buys you. But, as a modern superwoman, what's keeping you from beautifying your right hand? I took this to heart, given my abysmal dating history.

I've been planning to get myself this ring since I got my first job. Well, I am on my second job, and still no new and fabulous right hand ring. Well, when I was in Boston, I saw the most fantastic right hand ring. It was $1800. Naturally, I left it in Boston. But it was black and white diamonds, set in white gold. It was some serious bling. But it was "understated bling" as kd. called it. (See it here). Well, when I got back home, I googled it, and I found the store's website, where it had been marked down to $1200. Nope, still can't afford it. Then, I checked it again with the intention of emailing it to my mom, and it was marked down to $906.50. Still can't afford it, RATS! So, I figure, maybe I can find a jeweler to make it more cheaply. I call the jewelry store up in Madison that used to design jewelry. I emailed them a picture, and they said they could definitely make it. But it would cost $1500, since they would use quality diamonds. (The one in the picture uses a lower quality diamond and metal. Something I wouldn't have even bothered to look at if he hadn't said something).

Well, the sale ended before $900 managed to appear in my account, so I still don't own the ring. But, I have officially decided that I will get myself a fantastic right hand ring made by the jeweler in Madison by my birthday. I have even called the jeweler and made plans to make plans. This, my friends, is an official declaration of a goal. Ready, start saving!

No comments: