Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Observations from Exile

Having spent a week in Olympia Fields now, I have come to observe some things. First, my dear citizens of Chicago, you have got it all wrong. This is not, in fact, a suburb as the rest of the country knows it. (And by the rest of the country, I mean Milwaukeeans). Suburbs are areas that are near the urban area. (And by near, I don't mean 20 miles).

This is more like quasi-urban. There are endless numbers of big box stores and chain restaurants. I can't begin to count the number of desperate housewife SUVs that clog the roadways. And there are cookie-cutter townhouses as far as the eye can see. However, there is no sign of local stores and restaurants, no local favor, and no attitude or charm. AND, nothing to do. There's also no way to do something in the nearest urban area (Read: Chicago) because the last train back to OF leaves at 12:55. Hope you have friends in town.

And yet, people still live here. The reason is beyond me, but I imagine it's because they crave the quiet life for their families and kids. Bah!

No comments: