Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Stories from Tosa

My friend Katie told me the most amazing story in the world. And by amazing, I mean psycho.

Picture it, Tosa, just outside the village, 2005. Katie is driving along minding her own business, following Amy. She is on her way home, on 68th and State. (I think). Anyway, as they are at a stop sign, Amy gets hit by a car that was driving approximately 1000 mph. Fortunately, no one is hurt. But the psycho that hit her and his equally psycho friends get out of the car.

So Katie puts her car in park and begins to get out of her car. Suddenly, every available unit of the Wauwatosa Police Department is blocking her in. They're yelling "freeze, or I'll shoot!". What would you do in this situation? I, would probably pee my pants and immediately begin to sob uncontrollably -- something about having guns pointed at you.

At this point, Amy (who had not gotten out of her car) has pulled away and is not blocked in. Katie proceeds to leave at the next available moment. When she gets home, she is naturally shaken -- but manages to triumph over parent paranoia when her mother calls. Saying that she had guns pointed at her NOT in the dangerous neighborhood she's constantly warned about; but rather in the outskirts of the Tosa village.

Anyway, Katie and Amy attempt to find out what happened by calling the police station, but whoever answered the phone didn't know. BUT! thanks to the miracle of the internet, they find out the following Monday when the WPD website is updated. Turns out, aforementioned psychos -- henceforth referred to as idiots, had just robbed the George Webb on State Street. And of course, the entirety of the WPD was needed, because they didn't have anything better to do that evening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate you sharing my horrifying story with the public. Some notes:
1. This took place on 73rd & Hillcrest, an even more mundane intersection than 68th & State.
2. Amy was not actually hit. The car was so close we thought she had been hit.
3. You neglected to mention the part about "Get Right", but that's ok.
4. My parents called like four days later, but were still shocked.
5. Other interesting info: this happened at 9:45 p.m. on a Thursday, and I am also shocked that there was no peeing of the pants when 85 police officers were pointing guns in my general direction.
--Katie

Anonymous said...

Oh, also, the PD did know what was going on, but stated that she was unable to tell me.
--Katie