Friday, June 30, 2006

Curvy Girls Unite!

Woo hoo!!!!!!!! The fashion forecast says that we curvy girls have a light at the end of our tunnel. Yay and yay! The pants of the season come in two manners: itsy-bitsy teeny skinny pants. Including, ahem, lycra stretch pants. Stretch pants! I can't believe it, but it's true. The 80s have returned with a vengeance. The skinny pants are unbelievably tight, and not curve friendly, however, the fashion editors are convinced that the stretch pants are not the fashion tragedies of old. Looking at the pictures, I fail to see the difference between the stretch pants + baggy sweater combo of 2006 and 1986, but whatever. They didn't ask me did they? This is a fashion trend I've yet to co-sign on. We'll just have to wait and see how it looks live and in person.

I am, however, uber-ecstatic to report that the other manner of pants this season comes in "extreme" baggy. Basically, the slouch pants or stovepipe pants of a few years ago -- the early 00s. I can hardly contain my excitement. I've always enjoyed the fall season the most, but this year, I'm even ready to sign on to the "pre-fall" season. I want these pants NOW! I spied a pair that boasted a 28" leg opening. Surely even my disproportionately wide thighs will find a leg hole that fits without drowning my waist. Oh for joy for joy! Bless the designer that started this trend. I foresee huge credit card debt this year.

Additionally, shoes are thickening up. No more tottering on stilettos ladies. In addition to the continued growing market share of flats, the heeled shoes are moving from stilettos to stacks. Thank goodness. Just as I enter the workforce, shoes are becoming more practical, without losing that all important flair. Mary Janes are making a strong showing, complete with the roundtoe and the ankle strap. I also see some velvet in the future. Not particularly practical here in the snow belt, but I've always been one to carry the sexy shoes in the bag, and wearing the practical shoes on my feet while traipsing about outside.

I heart fashion that is made for the masses. Curvy-working-women, rejoice....and rejoice loudly ladies. If we out-spend those sickeningly skinny (ahem) women, we'll be heard and dominate the designers minds and hearts.....and most importantly, the ready-to-wear racks. (I look forward to hearing the whining of lack of hips/butt. Insert maniacal laugh here).

No comments: