Thursday, June 01, 2006

A man is never looking for directions....

This afternoon, I was walking merrily along a public sidewalk, minding my own business. As I was crossing the street, the SUVI was walking in front of honked at me. I noticed that it was either a BMW or a Saturn, either way, not a particularly foreboding vehicle. It's not the type of ride a man who is tryin' to holla at a honey in the street is rollin' up in, right? WRONG! My inference that the honk and the accented 'excuse me?' would be followed by a request for directions was wrong, dead wrong. I will give the gentleman points for using the non-offensive come-on of "I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I made a u-turn in hopes of getting your attention."

I was only slightly caught off-guard, and not at all attracted to this gentleman, but I allowed him to accompany me to lunch as requested. I declined the ride he offered me. Grant it, it was only 2 blocks, but I am generally not in the habit of climbing into stranger's vehicles. Lunch was ok (I paid, he didn't eat). The accent was Nigerian. He allegedly works in a legislative capacity. Today was his birthday. Ahem, 32. 32! This is obscene because...wait for it...he figured I was an undergrad. So, basically, you thought I was around 10-14 years your junior, and you're trying to holla? Um, gross? Find someone your own age!

Anyway, after the polite conversation was over, I got up to leave. Leaving him with only my email address. He offered me a ride home, I declined. He asked if he could insist. I declined again. (You can insist all you want playa, I'm still walking). Ew. Thanks for refraining from attempting contact ever again.

The moral of the story: a man who stops you in the street is never looking to ask you for directions.

While this was not a successful random meeting of a guy with potential; it was sufficiently amusing for a story. Which is nice. I thought I was up for several weeks of a total lack of life until the Bar Exam was behind me. So, all in all, neat!

2 comments:

pheebee said...

I'm still waiting for that email. I mean really, how can he deny me the satisfaction of deleting it, if I granted him the satisfaction of thinking he had a snowball's chance?

pheebee said...

oops, spoke to soon.