Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sex and the City (Again)

I am currently watching Sex and the City on TBS. And while it's quite censored, I still enjoy it far more than paying for the 6 season set. As per usual, I am amazed at how accurate this show is. And, as I watched Harry Goldenblatt speak really bad French (Charlotte's 2nd husband for those of you who are unaware), I contemplated the topic of the day. Basically, the topic of the show was the lack of romance in modern relationships.

So Carrie is finding herself disconcerted by all the grand romantic gestures that Barishnykov (yes, the ballet dancer -- again for those of you unaware). At the end of the show, she says "I'm an American, you gotta take it down a notch." This is hysterical for several reasons. First, they end up at McDonalds in full opera gear. Second, I completely agree that gigantic gestures of romance are a little much. What would you do if your significant otehr randomly began reading you poetry as you sit together on the couch? Barring literature majors and natural poetry lovers, I think it'd be cause for raising an eyebrow.

Of course, this means that men really have it easy these days. So frankly, my friends of the male persuasion, suck it up! All a girl wants is something sweet (chocolate), unexpected (flowers), or just thoughtful (card or kind word). For heavens sake, we aren't asking for the "A" game! Strap on the lyre, whip out your song card, and stop at the frickin' grocery store and pick up some flowers. Or, if you're too lazy for that, hop on virtualflorist.com or bluemountaincards.com and send her a cutsie email. Geez!

p.s. if I were a guy, I'd be such a pimp. I wouldn't need this advice at all!

No comments: