Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Tag, you've been summoned

Ok, I don't encourage watching Geraldo at Large. His ridiculous mustache alone is reason to boycott. However, my t.v. was on that channel when I turned it on this afternoon. You won't believe the story that I caught as I was heating up yummiful Chinese(esque) food. Apparently, for the safety of our children, schools in Massachusettes (and across the nation) are banning Tag. Tag? you ask. Yes, tag. The game aka "It". This ingenious time filler that convinces kids to run around like chickens with their heads cut off and avoid the person who is "it". And should one get caught, begin screaming like a banshee. This game, this blessed game, tuckers kids out and wears out their voices. Resulting in a substantial amount of time where the large groups of children are (a) entertained, then (b) too tired to wreak havoc and (c) have lost their voices and are too tired to speak. I beg you, WHY would an administration outlaw such a game?

Well, apparently, they are "protecting the children." Really, they are avoiding getting sued. Geraldo blames the lawyers and the insurance companies. But these two groups of people are just trying to pay their mortgages. Who you should be blaming are these RIDICULOUS people who would feel that a skinned knee is an appropriate cause of action. You know, there was a girl in my grade in elementary school who once broke her arm when she fell off the monkey bars. Technically, it could have been a cause of action. And a lawyer couldn't really be blamed for bringing a suit which might result in a paycheck. (Granted, I'm biased, but let's be real here. Would you turn down the possibility of earning money? I didn't think so.) Nevertheless, her parents didn't bring suit. Because falling off monkey bars is what kids do. Remember penny drops? Sometimes kids even do it on purpose. That's why God created health insurance. So please, stop passing the buck of your problems. If you really want to recoup some expense from your kids' injuries, consider taking it out of their allowance. Tell them it's practice for when FDIC will come out of their paycheck later.

2 comments:

Katherine. said...

as the daughter of a banker and someone who just looked her paycheck over, I don't think FDIC comes out of your paycheck -- this is a formal outrage complaint! :P I think you're thinking of the social security we'll never see.

pheebee said...

Very true. I stand corrected. It's actually FICA. FDIC, FICA, hickory, dickory, whatever. Either way it's money that someone other than me is spending :).