Sunday, October 29, 2006

Tricking and Treating, Parte Due

Sometime during the night, Chrissy decided to call the engineer in order to entertain herself. She called to inquire as to our dating status. Just to clarify, that dating status is nonexistent. So, anyway, he told her he was (a) with his girlfriend and (b) going to get off the phone. Now, this was an appropriate response because the engineer is quite savvy, and was easily able to deduce that she was (a) not me (as I was in the bathroom) and (b) not sober. This, as far as I can tell, was the end of the conversation. You would think this would be the end of the story. But wait, there's more.

7 minutes later, my phone buzzed, and his number pops up. Just as it was not I who called him from my phone, it was not him that called me from his phone. It was the g/f. Here is the gist of that conversation:
her: "Did you just call the engineer?"
me: "ummm, no?"
her: "Did you just have one of your friends call him?"
me: "ummm, no?"
her: "You didn't?"
me: "no, as I was in the bathroom. But maybe my friend called him as my phone was with her."
Now, I know what you're thinking. This must be the end of the conversation. At this point, any reasonable person would be able to figure out what was going on here, particularly given the prior conversation involving the words "getting off the phone" and "Halloween party". But wait, there's more.

her: "Well, she just asked if you were dating."
me: (snickering). "we're not dating! In fact, I'm in Wisconsin." (more snickering)
her: "Well, we're dating."
me: (out and out laughter). "ok."
her: "Well, since you think it's so funny, maybe you shouldn't call him anymore"
me: (more laughter) "ok, I'll do that." (laughter). Click.
Note: This is not verbatim. I wasn't taking notes.

Yes, she was serious. I'm not joking. This woman called me, while I'm many states and 2 time zones away and at a Halloween party to tell me that she was dating the engineer, whom I am not pursuing. Women like her give reasonable women a bad name. Seriously, are you that jealous? Of someone you've never met and who is only slightly lucid? Ok sweetheart, do me a favor, please get over yourself, thanks. And if you're making this phone call in front of the man that I am allegedly after, then do me a favor, reach into your purse and give him his cajones back. Jealousy plus cajone chopping is not generally a great way to build a relationship...I'm just saying. Am I wrong? I didn't think so. I took a vote among colleagues. Turns out, I'm not wrong.

No comments: