Thursday, December 20, 2007

Age ain't nothin' but a number

So, MMM was being his usual smug married self, and explaining his theory on aging to Kaia and I. In short, his position is your life is over at 25. After that, you start working, paying rent, having real responsibilities...etc.

Well, with all due respect (however little that is), Kaia and I whole-heartedly disagree. To Kaia, 25 is when you first start gaining a sense of self. To me, numerical age isn't what makes you old...it's what you do and when. Allow me to explain.

At 25, martamack became married martamack. At 29 (give or take a year -- I wasn't really listening) married martamack became Al Bundy (that is, married with child(ren)). Well, this, my friends, is what makes you old. Marriage is the end of your single social life (which is vastly different from a couple-d social life). In fact, I'd even go so far as to say an engagement and/or giving away your milk (you know, euphemistically living together) is the end of your single social life. It's the end of great stories like Snowflake, and Drunk Natalie, ooh! and remember the guy that was gay but didn't know it? and other such entertaining nonsense that goes on. It's probably the end of meeting new and interesting people. (Unless, of course, you go about meeting couples). And then kids. Well, that's the end of a social life altogether. Have you ever seen someone with children stay out past midnight or so? Because I haven't.

So, I'll thank you not to call me old. I still have my single social life perfectly intact. I don't have anyone that I have to check in with, and make sure I go to the A-bar with my road dogs. And for that matter, I still have road dogs. So yes, while being single can be stressful at times (i.e. when I need a date for the wedding, when the guy you're dating is being a total girl and giving you the silent treatment (ahem, that means you boxer!!!), and when you're in the mood to go to a romantic restaurant but can't find anyone to go, the list goes on); it's the life I'm into right now. And really? It's keeping me young. (Of course, at some point I will be too old for such nonsense. Now is so very not that time).

There's a reason why the saying is "young and carefree" and NOT "old and carefree". There's also a reason why people keep calling ages the "new" decade. (50 is the new 30, 40 is the new 30, 30 is the new 20). Because people are feeling younger later in life -- which happens to coincide nicely with people waiting until later in life to get shackled...er....married and have babies.

Eat your heart out...I'm still young!!! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is Amen to that, and don't hate us because were not smug marrieds!