Monday, February 20, 2012

Roommate Switch?

Last week, the Titan and I planned a night out. Originally, it was going to be the two of us and our sets of friends. But, ultimately, our friends bowed out so it was just us. We were both out because we wanted to see if we still had it.

To remind everyone, the Titan played basketball in college. 6'5", 245, caramel mocha colored, with kind of light eyes. He rocks a goatee, and a low fade. In a word, tall, dark, and handsome. Turns out, the Titan still has it. I watched him seduce the bartender and get more than half his drinks for free. Then, I saw him get 2 girl's phone numbers, plus a girl gave me her number to give to him. All in all, pretty impressive. Meanwhile, I was charged for all of my drinks (a grand total of two, since they weren't free), and there was no one I was really willing to put forth any effort into meeting.* It was getting near the end of the night, and I was growing tired of sitting by myself at the bar. At one point, I did get hit on by a girl, so that was pretty hilarious. Especially after she hit on the Titan a short while later. But other than that quick blip of hilariousness, I was starting to feel like I'd need a do-over.

Well, around 1 o'clock in the morning, things started getting interesting. I was sitting at the bar, nursing a water, when I saw a tall chocolate-y brother walk up on my right side. He was clearly a gym rat, shaved head, and wearing my favorite color. Then he left, and I was sad. At the time, the Titan was across the room talking to some chick, so I was trying coming up with reasons to leave. Fortunately, the gym rat came back, and he had a shorter, rounder friend in tow. Hooray! Let the flirting commence. When I turned to do a double take (and start the flirting), I made eye contact with the short round guy. Nuts!

The short round guy decided to strike up a conversation. (Darn my flirty eyes!!) Asking me who I was with, how long I'd been there, and whatnot. Typical bar talk. He introduced himself and the gym rat, who by then was on the other side of me. Then, they judged me for my water. I pointed out that I didn't like buying drinks, so I was drinking water. The round guy proceeded to buy my drink of choice and a shot. And he continued the conversation. He was nice enough, and the conversation was good, as far as bar conversation goes. He even pulled in his gym rat friend, so he wouldn't feel left out. I tried to focus as much as I could on the gym rat, and send him brain waves letting him know that he was the one I was interested in. Sadly, he was not psychic and walked away. Noooooo!!!!!

Eventually, the Titan made his way back to me, so I introduced him. The round guy actually bought a round of shots for ALL of us (impressive, I have to say). Shortly thereafter, I had to run to the washroom. While there, I texted the Titan to tell him that the wrong guy was interested. And this is when things got even more interesting. At some point between my run to the washroom and my return, the Titan had managed to make friends with a group of guys out celebrating their friend's birthday. The birthday boy had asked that I come by, to say that he thought I was cute (yay!) but he was married (boo!) and would I like a glass of Moet (hell yeah!). They didn't even ask me to hang out over there. So I just took my champagne and left. HA! When I made my way back to the gym rat and the round guy, the Titan had gotten friendly with the gym rat. Evidently, they both worked out at the same gym** and recognized each other.

The Titan, trying to do me a solid for getting that one girl's number, got the gym rat's phone number. And did a little research. Apparently, the gym rat thought I was cute, but didn't want to pull a robbery from the round guy. (Darn you guy code!!!). So, the Titan is planning to circle back to the gym rat the next time they see each other at the gym. Meanwhile, the round guy asked for my number. While I gave him the real digits, I sent up a little prayer to the dating gods hoping that he wouldn't call. (So far, so good. He hasn't!).

I guess, at the end of the day, I still got it too! And, I may even get a decent date out of the shenanigans. I doubt that -- but if I do, it'd be the greatest roommate switch ever, right? Totally worth it!


*There was one guy who was cute from afar, but when I got up to him, he was far from cute. HA.

**Also known as the gym where I work out. Yay!

No comments: