Monday, September 11, 2006

Dining Alone

Whenever I think about moving to Chicago, I wonder how I will experience the city. Grant it, I do know people there, who are either from there, or have lived there for a while. But when it's the middle of the week, and everyone is busy, what will I do with myself then? Which leads to the question, why is it so hard to eat alone in a restaurant?

I am not above ordering food to go at a restaurant, some restaurants are even offering a to go service that doesn't even require you to get out of your car. But, sometimes, you just want to go out right? But, when you do take that plunge, you feel especially conspicuous -- as though everyone is staring at you. Oddly enough, when you are out to dinner, you never give someone sitting alone a 2nd thought. Why is it that when you're dining alone, it feels slightly pathetic?

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with eating alone. It's no different than sitting in a coffee shop alone. But for some reason, it feels different. On the other hand, maybe it's just me. And it's only because I like to talk so much. No chatterbox is complete without someone listening to your inane chatter. :)

No comments: