Friday, September 29, 2006

TV Picks

I must say, I am extremely impressed with network tv's lineup. Broadcast television definitely brought it this season. Although they are certainly taking their sweet time starting the fall season. At any rate, I'll be spending a lot of time in front of the television this year.

Old Shows:
L&O: Each of them are stupendous as usual. Although I have never been keen on the Mr. Big episodes of CI. So I just skip those and watch something else those weeks. Lately it's been Dancing with the Stars. SVU appears to be giving Mariska some time off. I'm not big on this either, but I'll reserve my opinion until after a few weeks. Otherwise, the general public is providing plenty of fodder to keep you entertained for 3 hours a week.

House: The only medical drama on television that I can stand watching. He's the Matlock of medicine, the Bobby of the hospital. And I LOVE it. Although this year they're tending to get a bit graphic. My recommendation, pull up a chair Tuesday at 7 after the MLB season (finally) ends, and just be prepared to close your eyes really tight when it gets too gross.

Dancing with the Stars: Laugh if you want, but I've been into ballroom dancing since I was little. I used to watch it on PBS when the competitions were televised. And I even read the memoir Kiss & Tango because it was about a woman who left corporate america to pursue a career in Tango in Argentina. I highly recommend that book. But this is not a literary review, it's about television, so I"ll comment on ABC's show. Not only is ballroom dancing sexy (often in a dignified way), but the B-list stars they've got this season are exceptionally entertaining and/or hot. Hello? Jerry Springer doing a Bond version of the tango? Hysterical. Mario Lopez doing an impassioned tango. I was salivating. And, the surprisingly hot forerunner is Joey Lawrence. I had zero interest in him in his "Blossom" years, but the addition of a few years and getting rid of that ridiculous long hair may I just say "whoa!".

New Shows:
Justice: Needless to say, I heart the courtroom dramas. Finally there is a show that less about police work, and more about Matlock with glamour. Whereas Andy Griffith was a charming southern gentlemen in a seersucker suit. The attorneys in Justice are slick, sly and of course, very fashionable. And might I add, that I am impressed with the writers' ability to use the imposing stature and intimidating demeanor of Eamonn Walker without typecasting him as the Big Black Man. I would also like to add that they haven't yet shamelessly used Rebecca Mader as a sex symbol. Furthermore, bless them for showing how the murder actually happened. The other shows NEVER let us in on what the defendant may or may not have done.

'Til Death: I never really watched Raymond, so I don't know exactly how entertaining Brad Garrett is. But he is definitely hi-larious in this show comparing newlyweds to decades-old marriages. I am also impressed with Eddie Kaye Thomas' ability to shed his Finch persona. (Something not that easy to do given American Pie's infamy). And although I am bound to want to smack Kat Foster's character around a bit, she plays the newlywed idealistic wife beautifully.

Happy Hour
: I love that it's in the midwest. I love that one of the main characters is from MO. And I love how ignorant the Big City characters are regarding anything outside of Chicago. It's so true to life. This country mouse/city mouse comedy is hi-larious. Although it may have more appeal to midwesterners who realize there is life outside of NY and LA. Others may be shocked to realize there are 47 other states. (I assume they already know about Hawaii). Moreover, the show makes a good point. Why don't we make martinis everyday at 5pm anymore?

Studio 60: Wow. What more can I say about this show? It's so good it makes my head hurt. It's like eating a Lindt truffle and washing it down with a white chocolate mocha. The characters showed themselves to be lovable or loathable within the first 15 minutes of the show. Each actor is perfect for his or her role. And the thinly veiled allusions to SNL makes it all the more scandalous. Watch this show, and watch it every week -- twice if NBC deems it necessary to show an encore.

Six Degrees: Ok people. Tell me what is going on with this show. I'm so hot and cold on it I can't take it anymore. I may stop watching it merely because it isn't consistently fantastic. The idea behind the show is fabulous. The actual writing is annoying, using predictable stereotypes and ploys. Somebody get these people their thinking caps and take this shows potential and use it. Oh wait, this was supposed to be my picks. Well, somebody watch this show for a couple weeks and let me know if it's actually worth watching.

Ugly Betty: Another show I'm a bit iffy on. The idea is awesome. But it's only been one show. I reserve judgment until later.

For the record, I do do things other than watch t.v. But, let's be honest, I keep the t.v. on when I'm doing those other things. And anyway, nightlife doesn't start until well after primetime. So despite appearances, I do have a life. Moreover, if I didn't watch these things, how would you know what was on?!

No comments: