Saturday, September 02, 2006

Like a child...

Wow, am I naive. I always fancied myself somewhat street savvy. I mean I am from one of the bigger cities in the States. And I have been to the shadier parts of town a few times. I know when to keep my doors locked (always), which areas are completely exempt from crime (no where in the world where there are people), and how to conduct myself in a large city (carefully). I've seen a joint (never tried it -- complete lack of opportunity), I've had a drink of alcohol, I've even smoked a cigar (ok, I had one puff, but still). And yet, apparently, when it comes to drug references, I am completely naive and out of the loop.

I realized this just a few days ago, when an old Ashanti feat. Fat Joe song came on. In that song, there is a part of the lyrics which say "we be freakin' all nite like we was on E". So, the thought in my head is about E! -- as in Entertainment Television. I convinced myself that it made sense, thanks to that show "Wild on..." hosted by Brooke Burke. Unfortunately, I was wrong wrong wrong. Fat Joe is, in fact, referring to Ecstasy. The common rave drug. I find it hilarious that I didn't discover this until I was listening to the song, and they blocked out the word "e". It was at that point, not 4 years ago when the song came out, that I made the connection. Whoa, sad. I think I lose a few savvy points on that one.

No comments: