Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Make up to Break up

Recently, I met a guy (don't get all excited, he's married w/children). He and I have gone out to lunch a few times, and he's, how do I say this? Nosy, but in a good way. :). Anyway, said guy, n.k.a. martamack, is one of these married people who loves to be regaled with stories of the single life. I have a sneaking suspicion that he likes to hear them so he can be amused while looking smugly down his nose at his poor singleton friends. (As all married people do).

But I digress. This post, aside from introducing a new character to the island, is about sketchy breakups. I was telling martamack about how the engineer had dumped me without an actual relationship. I was telling martamack about how I could think of no acceptable reason why someone you're not dating can dump you. But, you know the story. The moral of the story, is that martamack was defending him. And I can find no logical explanation for that other than gender loyalty. After I spoke to him about it, I realized that the ninja and I often broke up without actually dating. Of course, he and I had actually dated at some point, making it a completely different situation.

So, this makes me think. If a dude can dump a chick they aren't dating, is it therefore true that men are never "just friends" with women? And if so, does that mean when they say they're your friend, they're just waiting for the right time to swoop in and drop some game? Things that make you go hmm...

On a related note, I was also dumped by the married hoosier. Or rather, the married hoosier recently stopped calling. A fact I am sorely disappointed by -- minus the disappointment. But, that's a post for another time.

No comments: