Monday, April 03, 2006

Daily Observations

1. My local bagel shop is now charging 30 cents for bagels rather than 25 cents. In the three years that I've been here, the price has raised by 5 cents. This is definitely an accelerated rate of inflation, but I appreciate the 5 cent increments. Perhaps the person in charge of setting prices for bagels should take over the pricing of stamps. I'm positive the nickel raise did not shock the market the way the post office seemes to believe it will.

2. You should not get engaged unless it is followed by a marriage. My aforementioned ex-fiance and my mother still talk on a semi-regular basis. Why?

3. Lawyers write on legal pads. I hate legal pads. I hate the way the paper flips vertically rather than horizontally. I hate the way you can't save the pages in notebook fashion. I hate that it's such a waste of paper since you can only write on one side of the paper unless you rip it off the pad. Therefore, I cannot be a lawyer.

4. Mothers drive their children insane. I realize this, but my mother is being particularly pronounced. Why wasn't I born an orphan.
4.a. I realized being abandoned as a child is not preferable to having 2 perfectly loving parents. It's the lack of nagging that I'm after.

5. I should never have oodles of time on my hands when I have a project looming. This is the first day of a full week off, and so far the only quasi-productive thing I've done is start my laundry. Notice how I haven't yet started my paper that's due at the end of the semester.

6. An uncanny knack for memorizing phone numbers may lead to trouble after drinking. D'ah well, stuff happens.

7. My resolve to stop swearing as much has been fairly successful. I realize it wasn't in the true spirit of Lent, but I don't remember Lent being a big deal @my church when I was young, and I think the result of my resolution is quite christian-like. In the end, I'll be a (smidgen) better person for it.

8. I have read 2 books that began as blogs. I don't think this is what commentators meant when they said there would be a blog explosion...but I appreciate the broad additions to chick-lit. :)

No comments: