Saturday, April 22, 2006

Platonic Shifts

See what I did there? That was a play on words. I do not, in fact, want to discuss tectonic plates (ooooh, look at the middle school geology being put to use. Boy do I feel educated).

Instead, this is a commentary on my decision to stop with the category shifting. I don't know why I tend to fall into this so much, but I have (guy) friends, who then become more than friends, possibly boyfriends, then back to friends. Or even boyfriends that turn to ex's that turn to sorta friends and back to ex's. Really, these situations can go no where but bad. I cannot be the only person that suffers from this though. So the real question is, why does it happen? I have a few theories:

1. We are too lazy to invest the time and emotion into finding a new person to relate to.
2. We really aren't very good people and no one else wants to be our friend.
3. We are attempting to (re)kindle a relationship that was doomed from the beginning.
3.(a). We are attempting this (re)kindling because there is some sort of spark there, but the spark never catches fire.
4. I ADORE that commercial with the breakdancing worm by Visa. Not really a theory, but it was just on, and I got distracted.
5. We really don't have anything better to do with our time but get into the messiest relationship we can find.

So what can we learn from platonic shifts? Obviously we can't learn to do better, otherwise we would. And learning from our mistakes isn't working either. Therefore, I think we can just use it as an exercise in going with the flow and enjoying the good times while they last. I, of course, suck at that game. This may be why I keep shifting. *Note to self, learn lesson the first (or second, third, or fifth) time.

No comments: