Monday, May 01, 2006

Frangelico

If I may rip off an advertisement: Fate is what happens when the unexpected becomes pleasurable. I had a weekend of fate this past weekend.

The last few days have been filled with unexpected pleasures. On Friday, I went out with a couple girls for a night on the town. What started out as a slow night at a restaurant-cum-bar-at-night ended up being a flirty night at a day of the week bar. The second bar is known for serving super-strong drinks cheaply. It is also a bar that I often end up being wingwoman extraordinare for my friends. On this particular night out, my friend said she wanted to see me approach a guy. (I'm not entirely sure why, but whatever). Apparently, my previous wingwoman-ing doesn't count as approaching.

While we were standing about, drinking and people watching, we were approached by a rather persistent guy. Looks-wise, he could probably get an honorable mention, but was nothing to write home about. He was very talkative, however. He also gets the persistence award for tracking down my email address and asking me about my friend as a follow-up from Friday. While I was slightly creeped out (until I figured out he was also a student), I was impressed with his tenacity. He also had a friend, who shared a name with Superfly from two years ago. He also had an uncanny resemblance to Superfly. But for the fact that he was living in Madison and hadn't yet gone to grad school, I would have thought it was him. That was pretty eerie.

At the end of the night, I did end up approaching a guy. I use the term "approaching" loosely. He was walking past and I made a smart-alecky comment. He must have been vaguely amused, because he made an appointment to continue our conversation post-bar run. Sadly, I was summoned to leave by my ride before he returned. I was kind enough to tell him that I was leaving, however, walking the 20 feet to the bar to say goodbye. Get this, I got a fundraising party invite for Thursday AND he asked for my phone number. Then he USED the phone number the very next day. Craziness! I haven't made the call as to where I stand with him. The conversation was fairly clever, but I haven't yet decided whether he can keep up with my sarcasm. Either way, I've got to shake him by the end of July, because I will be leaving, and I am in not in the market for a long-distance relationship with someone I just met....I tried that once, and it wasn't to great results. Incidentally, he has a faint resemblance to that very person I made that attempt with. Ha. Fate must be chuckling in amusement.

No comments: