Sunday, May 21, 2006

Old Enough to Know Better

In 8.5 hours I will officially be old enough to know better. But as an acquaintance told me, I don't look a day over 21, so if anyone asks, tomorrow is my 21st birthday. Actually, I grew up around women who never concealed/altered/or really showed much interest in their age other than it being a mere number. I think I will likewise follow suit. (However, I see no reason for full disclosure unless asked first.)

Anyway, the sad part about celebrating this milestone is that it's quite anti-climatic. I mean really, what kind of party can you expect when the party of the century was thrown a mere 10 days earlier. Graduating from law school and sharing the immense joy and relief that goes with it eclipses and trumps a birthday by far. To paraphrase Seinfeld: all I did was not die for another year. (Shout out to God for keeping me alive and such).

I think it may be time to implement my five year plan, however. I'm finished with school, so I officially plan to start having a big-girl life. I have no idea what that entails, however. I imagine I should figure that out in the next few hours, but I've perfected the art of procrastination. Why should I waste that talent?

I would like to tentatively put on the 5 year plan an attempt @finding a man that doesn't irritate me; and hopefully one that I can tolerate long enough to actually date for a significant amount of time. I'd rather not be dateless at the inevitable barrage of weddings that are soon to come. I expect at least 2 wedding invitations in the coming year. And my older friends tell me it only gets worse from there. Arrgh. Although, that does mean wedding cake. Mmmmm wedding cake.

I once heard about a wedding that didn't have cake. They had pie instead. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! And I once went to a wedding where the daughters from the previous marriage had made the cake. EQUALLY UNACCPETABLE! Hear ye, hear ye: An official island proclamation. If you're inviting me to a wedding, there'd better be cake. Store-bought cake people. What kind of mickey mouse operations are you inviting me to? And for the record, I'm fine with grocery store cake. In fact, I heart grocery store cake greatly. But do not, do NOT, attempt to pass off Betty Crocker or a kringle or freakin' blueberry pie as an appropriate nuptial dessert. A violation of this proclamation will result in a supremely hideous and/or cheap gift. FYI. Write that down.

No comments: