Monday, July 12, 2010

The Beginning, Delayed

After a complete fiasco in the financing arena (as in, the banker I hired failed to complete any of the tasks he was hired to do), I was finally ready to close. My side of the loan approval went through without a hitch, and I was ready to go a week earlier than anticipated. Naturally, that was far too easy. The underwriter wanted to know about the status of the condo association dues. And, of course, there were units who were behind. As a result, I couldn’t close. Excuse me while I panic. My loan is being held up because two people not at all related to me are unable to can’t pay their effen HOA dues on time. GRRR!!!

But, time is of the essence, as I have to be out of my apartment by June 30. Does that make the condo association president move any faster? Of course not. It’s not his problem, so evidently he fails to see the urgency of the situation. A fact that becomes all to clear when he sends an email ON THE DAY OF CLOSE that he won’t be able to get the appropriate paperwork showing proof of payment to my (new) banker until that afternoon. Is he kidding?! Nope, he sure isn’t. That means I can, make my down-payment, move all of my worldly possessions into the condo, but I can’t have any keys. Nice.

I proceed to be homeless for 7 days. Literally, I am sleeping on couches and moving around gigantic suitcases for 7 days, until the bank can see proof that the condo dues have been paid by the errant homeowners, and underwriting can sign off, and the seller can get his money. It’s Thursday night, around 9:30 before I get my keys…I meet the association president (AP), and he says that the banker was a complete pain in the arse. Is he kidding? Really?! We are not off to a good start as neighbors. There should be a way to interview the other homeowners in a condo, and the HOA leadership. I’m starting to feel apprehensive about living with such a dense donkey. But alas, after sleeping on a futon for 5 days, and travelling back and forth to Milwaukee for 2 days, and wearing the same shoes to work everyday for 4 days, I’m just glad to be inside my own place. Will it be worth all the trouble? Stay tuned…

No comments: