Friday, July 30, 2010

Things they forgot to mention...

I made my first mortgage payment today. It may have been the biggest check I’ve ever written. Truthfully? I did not find that particular part of the home ownership process enjoyable. In fact, it was the opposite of enjoyable. But, I guess it’s part of joining the club of adulthood. Boo!

I’ve also discovered a new problem with this condo. The elements that are most desirable when condo shopping turn out to be the biggest pain in the arse in real life. For instance, let’s discuss the floors. Home buyers get so excited when they see the phrase “hdwd thru-out.” Do you know how much more maintenance a hardwood floor requires? A ton! With carpet, you’ve got 15 minutes with a vacuum cleaner, vroom vroom, you’re done. Hardwood floors? Not so much. They attract dust like magnets. And even once you sweep, you still have to go behind with a wet mop. Booo!
Another bit of happy? Granite countertops. Verrrry purty. And again, impossible to clean! You can’t just use plain old cleaner. Oh no. You need special granite cleaner. Pfft. What? Too good for 409?!

In other news, the closet is still a work in progress. I have a furniture designer who is drawing up plans to trick it out. I’ve already stressed the importance of shoe and accessory storage. Let’s hope he understands the importance of a shoe collection!

No comments: