Monday, July 12, 2010

Confessions of a New Home Owner


Well, I have spent the last 3 nights and 3 days in my new condo, and frankly, I am still baffled by the whole thing. I can’t believe that I actually own a home. I. Own. A. Condo. Say what?! How did this happen?

It was about 10 months ago, that I got the grand idea to start looking for a condo. I knew I wanted 2 bedrooms – I just didn’t see the point in purchasing a one bedroom. And I knew I had to have a parking space included, a washer/dryer in unit, and a dishwasher. I was going to live in LP, LV, or downtown. And, I wasn’t going to raise my monthly payment by an obnoxious amount. 10 months later, I am sitting in a penthouse unit in LS, with two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, and a ridiculously-huge-by-comparison kitchen. Not only do I have a parking spot, but that spot is in an attached garage. I, am in real estate heaven. Truly there is a God, and I am blessed.

But, I am also baffled. When I first got in (after much trials and tribulations) on Thursday night, my unit resembled a refugee camp. Now, it’s more nomad chic. I don’t have nearly enough furniture, and the walls are soooooo boring. But, it’s mine, all mine! Squee!

Now, down to business. How do homeowners decide what to deal with first? Honestly! I can’t stand the sinks in the bathrooms, the neutral cream whiles have got to go, the floors need to be sanded and refinished, I need an alarm system, I’d love to change the hardware on the kitchen cabinets, and, did I mention I need new furniture? No one told me that on top of standard repairs, I’d begin to see things that need changing which I didn’t see when I first made an offer. I mean seriously! All the changes that need to be made seriously require a rich benefactor. Anyone got any ideas on when I might get one of those?

Short of robbing a bank, I wonder where to start after the paint color? Thus began my journey…how do I prioritize the changes I want to make?

No comments: