Monday, August 08, 2011

Product Placement

I realized it's been a while since I did a product review. Anyone that's known me for at least 30 seconds knows that I don't like to spend a lot of money on much of anything. Any purchase over $20 needs to be fully vetted. I am particularly discerning when it comes to beauty products. However, today I thought I'd highlight some of my favorite "overpriced" products. These items are all worth the money, I promise! (For ease of searching, all but the Spa Ritual nail lacquers are linked to Sephora's website. They are, of course, available elsewhere.)

philosophy the oxygen peel.
I pride myself on taking care of my skin. As with most African American mothers, my mother was adamant -- militant, frankly -- about cleansing and moisturizing the skin. I got in the habit of cleaning and lotioning every morning and every night. Genes + ritual has left me with skin that is holding up as gravity continues to weigh it down. But, sometimes, my cleansers and lotions need a little help from a magic potion. philosophy's the oxygen peel is my favorite product which helps keep my skin looking glowy and healthy. I've had 2 professional facials and my skin has ended up little more than greasy. Meanwhile, the much more pocket-friendly magic from philosophy has left my skin looking rather than fantastic...and let's be honest, it helps me maintain my reputation for looking young. (Dissenters be damned). The last time someone didn't believe my age? Last week, when Mr. Sunglasses darn near carded me when I revealed my age. You know what I love? Moments like that. (And no, that's not the reason I gave him my number. Shut it.)

Buxom Buxom Lash Mascara.
I am continually befuddled by the origin of mascara. One of these days someone will explain to me why hairy eyeballs is sexy. Whoever thought of it, though, I tip my hat to them. Turns out, I enjoy long and full lashes! I once read in a girly magazine that it's rarely worth it to spend the money on department store brand mascaras. The reasoning was that drugstore companies are constantly trying to one-up each other in the mascara department. Well, SiQ introduced me to Buxom Buxom Lash Mascara when we were in Vegas and I fell in love. My lashes weren't quite to the level you get with false lashes. But they certainly gave me an oversized lash for a doe-eyed day look. Buxom Buxom kicked my drugstore mascaras little ass!

Spa Ritual nail lacquer.
I have sensitive skin, and lots of products cause breakouts or a rash. One product that consistently makes me itch, no matter the brand, is nail polish. Spa Ritual to the rescue! Spa Ritual is a company dedicated to creating eco-friendly products. One such product is vegan nail polish. I haven't got a clue what about it makes it vegan, but whatever it is, thank goodness for it because now I can have colorful nails too!

Korres Quercetin & Oak Age-reversing Primer.
~or~
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer.
One thing I just can't support is having to reapply makeup during the day. And by not support, I mean I am completely opposed to it. Enter primer. The Smashbox primer is meant to be used with a moisturizer, the Korres can be used with or without. I like both of these, the Smashbox is a smidgen better bang for your buck, but the Korres has the added bonus of having some anti-aging mojo. Whichever you choose, be prepared not to reapply your makeup a million times per day. I just feel like it sticks. (Admittedly, my nose still gets shiny, but the first person to invent the solution to that problem gets a gold star -- blotting papers notwithstanding).

I'm always open to falling in love with other products. Suggestions welcome!

P.S. I'm still seeking donations. No donation is too small! Click here today!

No comments: