Friday, July 22, 2011

True Confessions

There are times when I am feeling really philosphical. Then I ponder the answers to life's problems, discuss politics, or fantasize about heading up a charitable organization which will solve the latest world issues*.

But, it's time I admit my worst kept secret. Most of my day, I spend having banal conversation, about asinine topics, taking my subjects from the vapid** side of life. I can wax poetic for hours about Real Housewives (of every city but Miami), fashion, and gossip with abandon. I love television, chick lit, and comedies. I rarely opt for the History channel, choosing instead to give my brain cells to shows such as Jersey Shore, Single Ladies, and Man v. Food. And, I donate these cells freely! Even without television, the book I'm reading at any given moment is sure to have a hot pink cover or a picture of heels on the cover. And you know what? I'm ok with that. When you see the popular kids holding court, how often do you hear them discussing the debt ceiling?

I think part of the reason I'm ok with my total shallowness -- aside from the fact that I happen to find those topics interesting (especially shopping, boys, and fashion!!) is because somebody has to talk about them! And, the more serious and heavier topics tend to make me angry, frustrated, and hopeless. Who wants to feel like that? Sometimes, a person needs a little bit of bubbly -- and not always the kind that comes in a bottle ;).


*This last one falls into the category of "Things that are Completely False, for $500, Alex"

**Incidentally, the first time I ever read the word vapid was in one of my favorite author's book. (Either Bitter is the New Black or Bright Lights, Big Ass) Jen Lancaster is AMAZING. Friend her on Facebook, her posts are hilarious.

No comments: