Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hate on Me

I attend church with a fabulously dynamic pastor. One thing that I really like about his teaching style is that it is very direct. None of the hellfire and brimstone of days past. And, the best part? He is able to breakdown concepts into bite-sized tiny morsels. One such morsel is the joy of haters and hater nation.

Let's start with a definition, shall we? A hater is one who hates. Specifically, it's someone who spends a lot of energy concerned about what you have, whether you deserve it, and how you got it. Basically, someone who is all up in your business your bid-nass. Hater nation is the collection of haters that are following you at any given moment.

Pastor Hannah has spent several Sundays pointing out that with favor comes haters. It's a concept that is common throughout the Bible. (Remember Joseph's coat? And what his brothers did to it --and him, for that matter?). There are many-a scriptures to remind you that favor is what God gives to his children...and that he also gives you the tools to deal with haters. But you should never, NEVER refuse your blessing to appease haters...they'll never be satisfied, so why would you hold up your blessing?

The best thing about church is when you are able to apply or relive the lessons from service to real life. My friend the Designer* quoted Katt Williams the other day. I might not get it right, but basically, he said if you have 5 haters on Wednesday, you better have 12 by Friday. Hilariously, the Titan's father used to tell him the same thing...if you have 7 haters on Monday, you better have 20 haters by Saturday. The days might change, but the concept is the same. If you have haters, you're doin' something right. The more I see haters, the better I feel. I'm so tough that the more haters I get, the cockier I get. I've been singing Jill Scott's "Hate on Me" for months now.

What are you doing about the haters in your life? Are you sittin' at home, feeling all sorry for yourself? Are you avoiding your blessings and your favor because you're afraid somebody's gonna talk about you? Well, my dear, keep away from me...because if that attitude is contagious, I don't want to catch it. Because I? I am ALL about getting everything the Lord has planned for me. I want to reap the benefits of ALL my hard work. Ok? Ok then.

Oh, and to all you haters out there? Bring a couple of your friends by...because eyes haven't seen and ears haven't heard what I have comin'. Body, mind, pocketbook; all of mine is going to be tight. I? Am incredible. Sharpen your tongue baby, cuz you're gonna have a lot to talk about. Hater. :)
*officially her new handle until I can come up with a better one.

No comments: