Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Good Skin

Throughout the Mission, I learned several things. Finances, fitness, skincare, spirituality and attitude were all on my list of topics to address. One of the most surprising things I learned happened just recently. Last month, I learned that depression is bad for the skin.

For reasons I won't get into here, I spent the entire month of June under a dark cloud. Life was terrible, the beginning of the summer was awful, and I was an emotional wreck. To make my already fragile emotional state worse, I started to notice the appearance of smile lines (ironic, isn't it?) and forehead wrinkles. My overall complexion was ashen and the definition of unsexy. I ramped up my skincare efforts -- cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing -- the whole nine yards. But NOTHING was helping. I resigned myself to leaving the category of those born lucky to look young for their age and into the sad category of looking older than my age.

Even though I didn't think it would happen, the clouds eventually began to lift. (Turns out, life goes on). The more light that came into my life, the better my skin started to look. Awesomely, my smile lines remained hidden if I wasn't smiling -- which was turning to be a lot less often -- that is, I was starting to smile ALL the time! (Again, ironic.) The forehead wrinkles were mostly nonexistent; and my skin was glowing and dewy. I didn't look a day over 25 (If I do say so myself).*

So, what we've learned is, a sunny disposition is not only good for the soul, but also good for your skin. Who knew?!


Oh, P.S.? I will take a moment to wax poetic about my favorite skincare product. philosphy's Oxygen Peel is worth every penny. It's an exfoliator that leads to smooth skin. I'm still looking for a magic potion that closes pores. Suggestions welcome.

*which really isn't necessary. John and Jane Q Public have confirmed this fact many-a time.

No comments: