Saturday, July 30, 2011

Learning about design

One of the most awesome things about owning my own place is the ability to put my own mark on the furniture and walls. There are those who rent who are willing to attack the walls with paint rollers, nail guns, and drills, but then they run the risk of getting dinged on their security deposit OR having to undo whatever it is they did. I've never been one to get into that. When I was renting, I just lived with my white or ecru walls, knowing that someday I'd have my own place and I'd be able to do whatever I wanted to it.

Now that I'm a big girl, I've been having a blast doing just that. I decided to go room by room, as I'm not actually independently wealthy. I've turned the previously cream walls into all manners of shades of turquoise, aqua, and brown. I've made plans to stick some tile to the wall (aka a backsplash), change the light fixture, and drill some serious holes in the wall for wall hangings. And, of course, I also made some room for rather awesome electronics (note the grown-ass man tv that's been mounted on a full-range of motion wall mount. Eat your heart out, boys). Throughout this process, I've absolutely used the advice of experts. Designers, tech-heads, and painters have all been tapped for their knowledge. You know what I've learned? Designing takes for freaking ever.

First, there's the process of choosing what you want. With such a big decision, I can't take it too lightly. Changing my mind is far too costly. So, it takes time to decide what you want, and what my muse or inspiration is going to be. (In my living room, I went with peacocks). And then, there's getting that inspiration translated into something that DOESN'T end up on the home equivalent of "What Not to Wear." (This is where having a friend who is a fabulous professional designer comes in!!). And then, there's scheduling the install of these things. (When it comes to this piece, it is SUPER hard not to do what my clients do to me -- failing to realize that you're NOT the only client.) Finally, there's realizing that having champagne will ultimately require waiting a lot longer to gather the money to bring your (designer's) vision to life. It's a work in progress, but when it's all done, it will TOTALLY be worth it.

Who knew redecorating a home would turn into a life lesson? What we've learned in the last year is patience. It may not get done right away, but eventually I'll be done. And really -- what's 18 months among friends? (Although, let's be real. If it takes 18 months to finish this, I may not make it to the end...patience is a virtue, and I? I'm not a virtuous woman.)

No comments: